Another Lifesaver for Me
I discovered the benefits of taking turmeric shortly after I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had heard about this for a long time, but I finally decided I should also add it to my daily regimen. I really wanted to get healthy again, so I was on the hunt for anything that might help me accomplish my goal. I had also heard that it might help fight breast cancer and could possibly keep the cancer from reoccurring. Since recurrence is a huge factor in any cancer, I am willing to do whatever I feel is necessary to aid in the stopping or killing of cancer cells. I religiously take Turmeric every single day. I hold on to the hope that, by taking this, I can keep myself healthy and prevent a recurrence of this dreadful disease.
Definition of Turmeric:
a bright yellow aromatic powder obtained from the rhizome of a plant of the ginger family, used for flavoring and coloring in Asian cooking and formerly as a fabric dye.
the Asian plant from which turmeric is obtained.
I am listing the ingredients in the product that I take. I take a product by “pure encapsulations” called A.I. Formula. There are 120 capsules in the bottle.
Ingredients in My Choice of Turmeric Capsule:
- Quercetin 175mg
- Turmeric(Curcuma longa) extract (root) 150mg
- Bromelain(from pineapple stem) 200mg
- Ginger(Zingiber officinale) extract (root) 100mg
I have since learned, that when taking Turmeric in order for it to be more effective, it needs to be taken with, or mixed with, black pepper. Black pepper can come in many forms. Some of it is called Bioperine or Piperine. If you decide to try Turmeric, check and make sure that it is mixed with one of the peppers listed previously. Black pepper helps with the absorption of the Turmeric. What is the point of taking something if you are not going to get the full benefit? Some people bypass buying Turmeric with pepper and just consume black pepper when they take the tablet. This is what I do. This is basically up to the individual. Either way, you will get the benefit. Also, there are different mixtures of Turmeric/Curcumin. This specific formula that I take is also recommended for arthritis. My goal is to kill two birds with one stone. It does seem to help with my arthritic pain. And, of course, I hope that it is busy working in my system to kill free radicals and to eliminate the cancer coming back.
Did you know that Turmeric is extremely beneficial to your health? 10 reasons are listed below as to why you should include it in your daily regimen.
- Bioactive Compounds contained in Turmeric have powerful medicinal properties. Turmeric is a spice, and what gives Curry it yellow color. Turmeric has been used in India for thousands of years both as a spice and also as a medicinal herb. Turmeric’s main active ingredient is called Curcumin. Curcumin is a very strong antioxidant and has very powerful anti-inflammatory effects on the human body. In order to experience the full effect of Curcumin, one should take an extract that contains significant amounts of Curcumin. Unfortunately, Curcumin by itself is difficult to absorb into the bloodstream. By adding black pepper, which contains piperine, the body is able to absorb the Curcumin. Piperine is a natural substance that can enhance the absorption by 2000%. Curcumin is also fat soluble, making it a good idea to take it with a fatty meal.
- Curcumin is a natural anti-inflammatory compound that fights inflammation at the molecular level. That means it is good to use to fight inflammation. Curcumin is so powerful as an anti-inflammatory that it can match the effectiveness of some of the more powerful anti-inflammatory drugs. With the drugs, though, come side effects and reactions. Not so with Curcumin. Curcumin, at the molecular level, actually targets multiple steps in the inflammatory pathway. Curcumin blocks NF-kB. NF-kB is now believed to play a major role in all of the chronic diseases listed further down in this article. Curcumin blocks NF-kB, a molecule that travels through the body, into the nuclei of cells and turns on the genes related to inflammation. Inflammation is very important to our bodies. Inflammation helps our bodies fight foreign invaders. It also plays a role in helping our bodies repair damage that is done to our bodies. If our bodies did not become inflamed, pathogens like bacteria could easily kill us by taking over our bodies and allowing free radicals to multiply. There are two kinds of inflammation. There is short-term inflammation, which is beneficial, and there is chronic inflammation, which can become a major problem to our health. Chronic inflammation can cause long term effects as the inflammation is deployed against our own body tissues. It is now believed that many Western diseases are caused by chronic, low-level inflammation. Some of these diseases include Alzheimers, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, many types of cancer, and many variations of degenerative diseases.
- The body’s antioxidant capacity is dramatically increased with the use of Turmeric. Antioxidants are very important and beneficial to our bodies as they protect our bodies from free radicals. Free radicals are highly reactive molecules with unpaired electrons. These free radicals tend to react with certain organic substances, such as proteins, DNA, and fatty acids. Once again, Curcumin has proven to be a potent antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals due to the chemical structure of Curcumin. Curcumin also boosts the body’s own antioxidant enzymes. In this respect, Curcumin delivers two benefits. The first is that it blocks free radicals directly and second, it then stimulates the body’s own mechanism of antioxidants.
- Curcumin improves brain function and lowers the risk for brain diseases by boosting brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is a type of growth hormone that functions in the brain tissue. These neurons are capable of forming new connections. However, in certain parts of the brain, the neurons can also multiply and increase in number. Depression, Alzheimers, and many other brain diseases have been linked to the decrease in the levels of this hormone. Curcumin can help increase the brain levels of BDNF which helps increase the growth of new neurons. By increasing the levels, it may be effective in delaying and, possibly reversing age-related decreases in brain functioning and many other related brain diseases. It is also believed that it might be possible to use Curcumin to help improve memory and it might even help make you smarter! WOW! An herb to make us smarter!
- The beneficial effects of Curcumin may play a role in helping to control or eliminate heart disease. It may help reverse many of the steps in the heart disease process. The main benefit of Curcumin in heart disease is it improves the function of the endothelium, the lining of the blood vessels. Endothelial dysfunction involves the inability of the endothelium to regulate blood clotting, blood pressure and various other factors. Several studies have been done on Curcumin in patients with heart disease. One study showed that taking Curcumin was as effective as if a person exercised. Another study showed that Curcumin was as effective as the drug Atorvastatin. Again, there are no known side effects to Curcumin. That cannot be said for the drug Atorvastatin. As we learned previously, Curcumin reduces inflammation and oxidation. Both of these are factors in heart disease.
- Turmeric may help prevent, and possibly even treat, Cancer! Studies show that Curcumin can reduce angiogenesis ( the growth of new blood vessels in tumors), metastasis (the spread of cancer), and may also contribute to the death of cancerous cells. Curcumin can affect the development, growth and even the spread of cancer at the molecular level. There are many different forms and kinds of cancer. However, most of them have similar commonalities. Because of these commonalities, Curcumin supplementation has an affect on most of them. There is also evidence that Curcumin may possibly help prevent cancer in the first place. This is especially true for digestive system cancers such as colorectal cancer. More studies need to be done on human subjects to see if this is true. In the laboratory, Curcumin has proven to reduce growth of cancer cells and has also inhibited the growth of tumors in laboratory test animals. Curcumin looks very promising as possibly a cure or a treatment to be included with standard cancer treatment. More testing and more time will tell.
- Alzheimers patients may benefit from the use of Curcumin. Curcumin may help prevent Alzheimers and also may help in the treatment of patients that have already developed Alzheimers. Alzheimers is the most common neurodegenerative disease in the world. It is also the leading cause of dementia among humans. Because of the huge number of patients developing Alzheimers, doctors are desperate to find something to help prevent it in the first place. That is where Curcumin comes in. It has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier. When one develops Alzheimers, it is caused by inflammation and oxidative damage to the cells. It is also caused from the buildup of protein tangles called Amyloid plaques. These plaques cause a breakdown in the messaging pathways. Curcumin has been shown to clear these plaques. It is hopeful that once the plaques are cleared, most brain function will be restored. Also, if Curcumin could eliminate the development of these plaques, that might be the answer to Alzheimers. More studies are being done to test these theories.
- Curcumin supplementation has proven to be beneficial for Arthritis patients. Arthritis is the inflammation of the joints. There are several different types of Arthritis, but all are caused by inflammation. Because Curcumin is considered a potent anti-inflammatory, it stands to reason that it would be effective on Arthritis. Studies have been done on groups of patients with rheumatoid arthritis. It turns out that Curcumin was even more effective in relief than routinely used anti-inflammatory drugs.
- The benefits of Curcumin for treating depression show promise. A controlled study of 60 patients was done to test the results for depression. The group of 60 was divided into 3 different control groups. Each group had 20 patients in it. The first group was given just Prozac. The second group was given a gram of Curcumin. The third group was given both Prozac and Curcumin. After all three groups took their prescribed medicine/herb for six weeks, the results were in. Curcumin led to mood improvements similar to Prozac. The group that did the absolute best was the group that took both Prozac and Curcumin. This small study points to the fact that Curcumin is as effective as an antidepressant. Can you imagine what this might do for our returning veterans? Many come back with severe depression, and are usually treated with massive amounts of antidepressants, whether it be Prozac or some other medication. Some veterans are even prescribed several different kinds of antidepressants. Depression has been linked to a shrinking hippocampus, the part of the brain that is responsible for learning and memory. It is also linked to reduced levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor. Since Curcumin boosts BNDF levels as discussed earlier in this article, the potential of it for reversing some of these changes is promising. In these studies, there is also evidence that Curcumin may boost the brain neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine. Both of these play a huge part in our mood.
- Age-related chronic diseases and aging may be slowed with the use of Curcumin. If Turmeric/Curcumin can help prevent many of the diseases listed above, then it makes sense that it would offer benefits for longevity. Many people take it as an anti-aging supplement. Curcumin may go way beyond prevention since it can help with oxidation and inflammation. Both of these play a role in aging and chronic disease.
I have listed the ten reasons one should consider taking Turmeric/Curcumin, and I personally swear by this product. It has literally changed my life. If you have any questions, concerns or comments, please contact me. I will do what I can to help you! I appreciate you reading this article, and I hope you have gained information that you were not aware of! Warning! Turmeric may have side effects for persons taking blood thinning or other medications. Please check with your health care provider to see if any precautions should be taken in your specific situation.